Well, that was fast. Seven days ago the University of Minnesota lost its head coach Don Lucia after 19 seasons. Poof. He gone. But now former St. Cloud State head coach is trading his red for maroon. Bob Motzko will be named the Gophers new head coach this afternoon.
Can confirm that St. Cloud State men's hockey is holding a team meeting at 1 p.m. source did not mention specifics of meeting but feeling is Bob Motzko is headed to Minnesota
— Nick Maxson (@ThePuckScribe) March 27, 2018
— Star Tribune Sports (@StribSports) March 27, 2018
So, is this a good hire? You can decide that.
- 56 years old
- Born in Austin, Minn. (I like that the Gophers stayed within the state)
- Played forward from 1979-87 with a variety of teams. Austin Mavericks/Waterloo Black Hawks, Dubuque Fighting Saints, St. Cloud State
- Started coaching in 1986-87 with the Huskies as an assistant. Then jumped to North Iowa (USHL), Miami, Denver, back to Miami, assistant at all three. Went back to USHL with Sioux Falls, then to the Gophers as an assistant from 2001-05 (I like that he’s been in the program), then back to SCSU as head coach since 2005. In 2017 he also took on the role of the US Men’s National Junior Ice Team head coach.
- Coaching record = 273-189-49 (.582 percent) I’ll take anyone in the green numbers
- Tournaments = 5-7 (NCAA), 9-10 (WCHA), 7-4 (NCHC)
- He’s a family man. Well he’s got a wife and three children. I guess he could be living a double life but that is still yet to be determined